The Georgetown Health Foundation’s roots date back to 1924 with the establishment of Georgetown’s first community hospital. From the beginning, the Georgetown Hospital has provided for the health of the community with a focus on building relationships. The Hospital’s founders believed, as we still do today, in improving the quality of life in Georgetown based on the values, merits and character of the people in this community.
In 1947, Dr. Hal Gaddy, Jr. joined the hospital and played a critical role in ensuring that quality, medical services were accessible to all in the greater Georgetown area. Together with Dr. Douglas Benold, Dr. Gaddy, Jr. opened a clinic in 1958. The doctors were joined by three new physicians in the early 1970’s: Dr. James Shepherd, Dr. John Webb, Dr. Richard Pearce, and Administrator, Mr. Kenneth Poteete.
This group of Doctors and Mr. Poteete outlined goals for the future of healthcare in Georgetown with three fundamental objectives: “to provide quality care, within our means, and with no tax base.” That vision came into focus with the donation of six acres along the San Gabriel River for the new home of the Georgetown Hospital. It became reality in 1979 with the completion of the 60-bed acute care facility that later expanded into a 122-bed facility.
By 1987, as the community and its healthcare needs continued to grow, the Hospital became the central facility of the newly formed Georgetown Healthcare System. The new system expanded the vision beyond traditional healthcare boundaries to best serve the residents of Georgetown.
A New Partnership
In 2006, Georgetown Healthcare System partnered with St. David’s HealthCare by contributing Georgetown Hospital. Georgetown Healthcare System retains a vested interest and a voice in St. David’s HealthCare’s management, and St. David’s history and success helps to ensure that we serve the healthcare needs of our community.
Through this partnership, the Georgetown Healthcare System has evolved yet again with the creation of Georgetown Health Foundation. In this innovative model, revenues from foundation activities go directly toward helping the people of greater Georgetown.
From our humble beginnings to now, we have remained steadfast in our commitment to community health promotion and access to quality health care for all people in the Georgetown area.
Georgetown Community Resource Center (GCRC)
In the mid-1990’s, community leaders identified a need for a coordinated approach to social services in order to effectively address Georgetown’s rapid growth and changing demographics. Seeking solutions, a group of powerful community health advocates garnered support for the Community Resource Center concept, through which multiple nonprofit organizations could be housed under one roof.
The Community Resource Center model benefits participating nonprofits, their clients, and the greater community by providing a space for improved communication, coordination, and collaboration between agencies therein, and facilitating community members’ ability to access participating nonprofits’ services.